Thursday, June 21, 2012

I has feets

Yesterday I slammed my bare toes into a piece of plywood in the fruit cellar (I don't know how it got there).  I'm fairly certain I fractured something, forcing me to use my left foot only gingerly - quite a pain when your job is to walk up and down corn fields all day.

This afternoon we had to put 7 foot-tall sprinklers in place.  Francis drove the tractor that pulled a trailer full of aluminum sprinkler poles and the bases that keep them upright, and I walked alongside the trailer, pulling out sprinkler parts and dropping them at regular intervals.  I started having trouble keeping up.  I struggled to get the bases out, which where all in a jumble.  I thought to myself, "after I do a few more, I've got to ask him to slow down or I'm going to kill myself."  That's when the trailer wheel squashed my right foot.  I yelled, and dropped to my knees.  As I pulled off my shoe to do a damage report, I saw Francis continue down the field another 50 meters.  He hadn't heard me.

The good news: my left toes don't hurt anymore.  The bad news: I'm going to have to amputate something to get my right foot to stop hurting.

No comments: