Thursday, August 27, 2009

Je suis de retour

Le Far West is back. This time I'm reporting from the far west of Eurasia, not far from a place where Roman soldiers went to retire and enjoy the hot springs of Aquae Sextius, now known as Aix-en-Provence. More specifically I'm in Puyricard, a village where the Michel family has been been breeding corn for upwards of 15 years. Audrey, being quite fed up with the summer's corn castration, wanted a break from anything that reminded her of maïs. So we went to the beach.


The beach was my idea, and though it was great, it didn't do the job of creating a rupture between working the corn and the start of the school year that Audrey desired, so we went to St. Michel (no relation).


St. Michel is a tiny village two hours north from here, where the Michel's have a home. The surrounding region (like innumerable other regions) is famous for its cheese:


I also ate pigeon for the first time (as far as I know). We also tried some horse sausage... don't tell Alida.


Two days ago we visited Saint Antoine l'Abbaye, an abbey known for its honey production. We bought some Hydromiel, which is simply water and honey left to ferment. It's muscat-like but better, in my estimation.


We also visited the Fountain of Old Piss.




Now we're looking for apartments and I'm looking for a job. I start school September 22. So... voilà. A la prochaîne fois!

2 comments:

Alida said...

Haha, Andrew ate a horse sausage. Gross.

Looks like you're having a blast; I hope that you find a house, job, and car.. hey there it is behind that dumpster! Har.

Tell the Michels I say hi!

Gary Perrine said...

Ahh, the cheese... I'm sure you already told the Michels that we have several Doorways of Old Piss. Har as well!